Area - 21,7 sq. km
Zolotonosha is the biggest city of Cherkasy region. It is located at the crossroads of Kyiv-Kremenchuk and Kyiv-Cherkasy highways, 35 km from the regional centre (city Cherkasy). Moscow-Odessa railway route crosses the city. Besides, Zolotonosha lies within an easy reach to Kyiv, Dnepropetrovsk, Cherkasy, and Poltava.
(taken with Zgari, Hryshkivka, Yarky - villages of city subordination - 44.6 sq. km)
Population - 29.7 thousand people
Founded - 60s of the XVI century
City - since 1781
Status of the city of regional subordination - December 1992
Mayor: Olexiy Korpan, (1951 y.b.; since 05.04.2006 – Zolotonosha Mayor, in 2002-2005 – Deputy of Head of Cherkasy Regional Administration).
The legend says that the city got its poetic name (Zolotonosha – “gold carrier”) due to the fact, that 56 towns and villages of Poltava, Chernihiv and Kyiv regions paid their taxes to the fortress-city only in gold. But it seems more probable that the name of the city came from the river Zolotonoshka (left afflux of the Dnipro river), which sandy bottom glittered gold oil sunny days.
The first written note of Zolotonosha dates back to 1576. Its convenient geographical location on river island and its nearness to the ancient trade route (Tsarhorod road) promoted rapid development of the city. In the document of 1616, Zolotonosha was described as a moll-surrounded city that held weekly markets and yearly lairs.
Nowadays Zolotonosha is an important industrial centre of Cherkasy region. OJSC "Zolotoniskyi mashynobudivnyi zavod imeni Lepse" is the leader of machine-building industry in Cherkasy region. Zolotonosha liqueur-alcohol drinks factory, now known as "Zlatohor" brand, was put into operation in 1896, OJSC "Zolotoniska perfume-cosmetic factory" is the only Ukrainian enterprise producing ether oil made of dill and pine needles according to the unique recipe and technology developed at the factory. The output of the sewing factory "Zolotonis'ka shveyna fabryka", OJSC "Zolotonoshm'yaso" that produces meet, OJSC "Prodtovary", OJSC "Zolotoniskyi zavod zalizobetonnych vyrobiv" that produces building materials, PP "Konservnyi zavod", and MP "Silverfut" is known all over Ukraine. Polygraph and furniture industries are quickly developing in the city.
Since old times Zolotonosha was a notable cultural centre. In 1897 Marynych-Yakovenko organized first private theatre there that soon gained great popularity. In 1910 the theatre got its permanent building (now housing Zolotonosha district house of culture), which is considered a cultural monument. At different times the chorus conducted by Mykola Lysenko, actresses Maria Zan'kovetska and Nataliya Uzhviy, actors Petro Saksahanskyi and Borys Romanytsky performed on its stage
In the middle of the XVIII century Zolotonosha greeted Hryhoriy Skovoroda - a prominent Ukrainian philosopher and poet, Ukrainian poet T.H. Shevchenko lived there for two months in 1845, collecting folk songs. Famous writers Ivan Kotlyarevskyi, Mykola Hohol, Marko Vovchok lived in Zolotonosha at different times. Zolotonosha is a cradle of a poet Mykola Dumytrashko and a satire writer Yukhym Gedz.
Educational and cultural life of the city was developing under the influence of numerous religious establishments. Therefore the emblem of the city (dating back to 1782) is a big golden cross (symbol of churches concentration) against the purple background (symbol of prosperity and welfare). Golden domes of Blahovishchenskyi and Krasnohirskyi monasteries and four churches could be seen throughout the city. Mykil'ska church school and Blahovishchenskyi monastery school constituted Zolotonosha's educational network. There studied Mykhaylo Maksymovich (a future rector of Kyiv Central University) and Yevhen Tymkivskyi (a well-known sinologist).
At present Zolotonosha educational network is represented by the state college of veterinary medicine (1898), Zolotonosha professional lyceum, city gymnasium; five secondary education schools, a preparatory school, and a school-sanatorium. There is a lovely dendropark (1962) covering 9 hectares of the school-sanatorium territory, that contains an enormous (25-thousand kinds) collection of trees and bushes. The park is a real piece of art and is a perfect place for gardening skill practicing. Technical, music and sport schools are also functioning.
The building of a former male gymnasium (where a well-known Ukrainian writer Semen Sklyarenko studied in 1911-1919) now houses the Palace of Children and Youth Creativity.
Not far from the city, on one of the islands of the Zolotonoshka river Krasnohirskyi stands high and proud Preobrazhenska church, designed by a prominent architect Ivan Hryhorovich-Barskyi. It is a perfect example of the Ukrainian baroque style. Preobrazhenska church survived through the turbulent years of revolution and atheism, and now accommodates more than one hundred nuns.
Uspenskyi cathedral built in 1745 in old Ukrainian style is famous for its unique Indian pagoda-like domes. Troyitska church (first built of wood without a single nail and later rebuilt in stone), was reopened in 1998 and now is a spiritual heart of the city. Zolotonosha chamber chorus "Voskresinnya" performing pieces of spiritual music gained love and popularity all over Ukraine.